Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I am a rookie for asking this question but I was wanting to know is the Tippmann Custom Pro with Response Trigger would be a good gun for a rookie to start out with?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Honestly I'd get the pilot. It has an electronic trigger. So its gonna be faster. However thats gonna make getting a faster hopper a necessity right off the bat.

·
ShArPeYe
1,271 Posts
no dont waste money on a tippy with repsonse u can def get a nice cheap spyder that will give u about the same performance make sure u get a better hopper and keep it in good condition... as good as spyders are they tend to fall apart everyonce in a while

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tippys all the way man... sorry but tippys just are so much more of a luxury gun... its like driving a Ferrari and then an escalade, Tippys are escalades, Spyders (or just about anything else)= Ferrari... The tippman is the kind of gun you can drag thru mud, throw off the grand canyon, leave in the back of your truck for a month and then put on a new tank and shoot kind of gun... Oh, and the customizability is like endless too... you pick, personally tippys all the way! :naughty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, go 98C. Lol of course I'm biased but hey. It depends on what you'll be playing really. I don't know much about the Pilot, but I know it's electric so it costs more, and has a vertical feed so the sights are pointless.

Go for the stock 98 Custom but upgrade the barrel. Better yet if you just spend like $20.00 more you can get the Custom Pro. It's got a better finish on it, so the paint won't scratch as easily, and it's already got a drop-foward attached, and comes with an 11" barrel instead of the 8", and a double-trigger.

Again I'm biased, I'll probably never buy a Spyder, but whatever suits you. But from the pictures of the Pilot, it's rather shiny, as compared to the black or camo you can get for the Custom.

Speedball - Pilot
Woodsball - 98 Custom/Pro

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would go with an Imagine, but I do own a 98 and I like it just fine. I've truely rammed it into the ground(on accident) on several occasions and all that came of it were a few scratches ON ME! The gun is like bullet proof. It is a true woodsball gun. Also I've never seen two tipp's exactly alike. There are so many custom options to tricking it out that no two hardly are alike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, a new barrel with any Tippmann is always something to look into. Actually it's the first thing you should get. I only have a 14" Smart Parts Progressive barrel, but it's alot better then the crappy little 8" you get with the gun, dont go over 16" unless you want your gun to be 3' long!

Really the barrel is all you have to upgrade. The hopper that comes with it is fine since it's a mechanical gun and can't fire many BPS. From the barrel on it's really whatever suits you best.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey, tippy's aren't always ugly. I've seen some ok looking ones. Mine is camo and not all that impresive to the eye, but it is for woodsball so whatever. The Imagine is faster, but you'll want to buy a new hopper and barrel. Go with what you want though because I think the stats of the gun have been shown by now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Meeka, be careful what you say :).

Ever think that mabey Tippmann's arn't as glamorous for a reason? They're basically made for woodsball so we don't wan't a gun that could pass as a reflector. Tippmann guns have the guts, so the looks arn't important - even though they look pretty damn good. There's also this thing called AIMING that occurs somewhere in the sport of paintball, primarily in woodsball, so we don't need fast guns. And the Custom Pro HAS a double-trigger.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My tippy has a d-trigger. Also I don't think I've shot over 6bps ever b/c I'm alwats aiming and firing off each shot to hit my target. Heck I've gone thru games before getting two-three ppl out and only using 12-15 balls. In speedball I would've used 70-90. I like my tippy more than my friends pilot. His pilot looks better, meaning cool colors, but it breaks everytime he is even a little hard on it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
tippy all the way, more durable and reliable, but if your more into speed ball get the imagine, not the pilot, pretty much the same thing just cheaper

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have shot the custom pro before. It was not that bad it had like 14 bps ramping and it felt alright. It should work well. If you like tippys go tippy. If you like spyder buy a spyder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can I pry and ask what your choice is or mabey you don't wan't to start another feud over which brand is better...(Tippmann :devil: ) Lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I am going to go with the Tippmenn 98 Custom Camo because I would prob. be playing with my friends in the woods more than anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts