Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I was hearing a lot of the OS would be stored on the net, is this true? if so wouldnt that mean your computer would always need to be connected to the net to function?

if it follows the path of the last few windows OSs it will use every last bit of ram available and then use a large page file

BUT! theres also the argument that every other windows OS is good, and seeing as vista sucks, maybe this one will do good idk

·
Registered
275 Posts
My friends are all saying the beta is good, and fast, but there are a few problems. I think this one will be succesful. I read they also want to make a Microsoft Windows Nano or something like that, which they want to only be like 6 GBs, not sure if that is still on the net, it was on some blog, you could probably find it on a quick google search.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
i've had windows 7 on my pc for a little while, downloaded not installed. Got both the 32 and 64 versions the day they came out to insure that i'd have one or two of the 2.5mil limited copies. I haven't tried it out yet because i haven't backed up my harddrives but my little brother said that it's a lot like vista but without the sidebar and much prettier. There are a few other changes but I'd have to test it out before I could describe it.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
i've had windows 7 on my pc for a little while, downloaded not installed. Got both the 32 and 64 versions the day they came out to insure that i'd have one or two of the 2.5mil limited copies. I haven't tried it out yet because i haven't backed up my harddrives but my little brother said that it's a lot like vista but without the sidebar and much prettier. There are a few other changes but I'd have to test it out before I could describe it.
so they basically polished vista a bit?

i have vista on my work computer, but in order to do work....on my work computer they had to have our tech guy come around and disable all the shinny aspects of vista, so even though i am technically running vista it looks like windows 2000 (ya you remember the gray rectangular start button), that was the only way to make it work and not lock up all the time while running the few programs i have to run

POS OS IMO, and if 7 is just vista with a few more rounded corners i dont see it getting better

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Once I'm done building my PC, I'll probably dual-boot XP and 7. I just can't see myself turning away from such a stable OS like XP.

·
Registered
275 Posts
can someone explain the differences between a 32 bit and a 64 OS??

The difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit is not really much. Basically, with windows vista 32-bit it can handle up to 3.5 GBs of RAM (Random Access Memory), on the 64-bit version it can handle 8 GBs of RAM, on the 32-bit even if you have 8GBs of RAM it will only read 3.5 GBs of it and use it. I am not sure how it will work with windows 7. Oh, and the 64-bit version tends to have a little less support

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you guys are worried about backing up ****, blah blah blah, just run it via a Virtual Machine such as VirtualPC or VMware or something along those lines. You don't need to back up **** since if the VM ****s up, you just delete it and create a new one.

But uh, if Windows 7 is anything like Vista then :tdown:
If it's similar to Windows Server 2008, then it won't be bad. Server 2008 seems to be modeled after XP (and I guess from server 2003, but I havn't used 2003 before). Not much of a memory hog (I can run two instances of server 2008, one borrowing 1 gig ram, one borrowing 512 kb ram on my macbook with 2 gigs without too much lag once they're both started up).

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
can someone explain the differences between a 32 bit and a 64 OS??
Basically a 64-bit windows can run more memory and use it better. If you have 4 gigs of ram or more then things will run very smooth. One of the things window 7 does better then vista is how much memory it gives to programs so things don't get bloated. Oh and there are no major issues with support. The whole driver issue with vista has gone away thanks to lots of 64-bit drivers getting released.

Trbo323 you're doing a pretty good job of talking smack on the premise that this is vista. Worse you're doing it all with the view of vista when it first came out. Vista has become much better over the years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts