Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does win98 still store system files (or any other files for that matter) on C:...even though im installing on E: ?

(what im gettaing at, is will it throw a wrench into windows xp that im running on C: ?)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
you can do it fine, just watch how you install stuff. its actually fairly common to do because often companies will only have this disk that lets you install xp only if theres a copy of another windows os on the machine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
its actually fairly common to do because often companies will only have this disk that lets you install xp only if theres a copy of another windows os on the machine.---------yeah, its called an upgrade, not a full stand alone os disk, but it sounds like he has XP installed already, and wants to install 98 on the same machine, which is difficult, because windows won't let you "downgrade" easily. Or dual boot easily for that matter.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dual boot...exactly...and you are right about windows not allowing you to downgrade (at least not within the same partition). the reason i want both is because my camrea software will not work with anything post win98.

yeah..i know you are thinking, go buy a new camera...but i really cant justify the expense right now, especially since the one i have has such quality pics. actually, i have 2 cams...but the HP that was given to me, really really sucks and is hard to get a good pic out of it. i really prefer my kodak for quality.

well, then the next thing i could do is just buy a card reader...but, i already bought one and it uses usb 2.0, and i have no 2.0 ports on my pc (and i dont really want to buy another reader either, or buy a 2.0 port)....i guess you figured out, im trying to be cheap right now...installing 98 would be the "free" option.

im hoping it will work....im gonna ghost my C: drive into my D: drive just in case 98 messes up something when i put it on my E: drive...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you using a type of software to pull the images off of the Camera? Or just drag and dropping?

If you have to use a program to pull the images off the camera just right click the program shortcut-
>Properties->Compatability and choose run in compatabilty mode with windows 98/ME.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmm, bunker monkeys suggestion might work. What type of program are you using to "ghost" the hard drive? Some programs only ghost data , not system files, etc. Also, If you already have XP installed, ouch, you may need some sort of boot manager. Usually, and I know you probably didnt anticipate this, you install 98 first, then XP, and windows will install a windows boot manager. But if you just install Win98 from a boot disk ( boot to floppy, then install using win98 cd) it will always boot into the win98 partition with no option to go with the xp partition.

Also, another thing to consider, if you have NTFS and Fat32 disks, win98 wont recognize partitions/drives formatted in NTFS. Do you perchance have PowerQuest partition magic? It has a boot loader , but I have never used it. It also shows the option to install another os, which may work around your XP "downgrade" prob. And it will convert Fat32 to NTFS, etc, BUT you may have some data corrupted in the transformation.

Edit : just out of curiousity did you google new (XP) drivers for the camera? Or possibly try a generic removable storage device driver? Be careful using Driverguide.com as it will infect spyware into your system. Try Kodaks website, etc.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pr0ph3t said:
buy a 2.0 USB port card. they're like $10 at Circuit City

now that could be an option....i just looked on the internet (briefly) and saw plenty for $35 and up. i ought to look a little harder then...

BunkerMonkey said:
Are you using a type of software to pull the images off of the Camera? Or just drag and dropping?

If you have to use a program to pull the images off the camera just right click the program shortcut-
>Properties->Compatability and choose run in compatabilty mode with windows 98/ME.

i dont absolutely have to have the software for the camera to pull the images...the cam has the removable card and the pics are saved as .dcp, which i can load into PS.

the camera software program wont load into XP at all, so, i cant do that trick

jnjnfl said:
Hmm, bunker monkeys suggestion might work. What type of program are you using to "ghost" the hard drive? Some programs only ghost data , not system files, etc. Also, If you already have XP installed, ouch, you may need some sort of boot manager. Usually, and I know you probably didnt anticipate this, you install 98 first, then XP, and windows will install a windows boot manager. But if you just install Win98 from a boot disk ( boot to floppy, then install using win98 cd) it will always boot into the win98 partition with no option to go with the xp partition.

Also, another thing to consider, if you have NTFS and Fat32 disks, win98 wont recognize partitions/drives formatted in NTFS. Do you perchance have PowerQuest partition magic? It has a boot loader , but I have never used it. It also shows the option to install another os, which may work around your XP "downgrade" prob. And it will convert Fat32 to NTFS, etc, BUT you may have some data corrupted in the transformation.

Edit : just out of curiousity did you google new (XP) drivers for the camera? Or possibly try a generic removable storage device driver? Be careful using Driverguide.com as it will infect spyware into your system. Try Kodaks website, etc.
i have norton ghost...so no problems there...

i was wondering about having to install 98 first, you dont think it would work on the other side of a partition? will 98 work in NTFS? (right now, my E: drive is unformatted and the others are NTFS)

i went to kodak for the software update, but they stopped it once they hit the 2000 update, which never worked. i havnt tried a generic driver yet....cuz i figure it will do the same crap..."your mass storage device will not operate properly. it requires a usb 2.0 port. it may operate at a reduced speed. would you like windows to search for a compatible port?"...after is searches, and finds none, it automatically ejects the device...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Norton Ghost-awesome program ,
Windows 98 will not even show a NTFS drive/partition, ie I had a tri boot system that had c as 3 partitions, C; D; E; with win98, winxp, and linux on each one in that order, my next drive, drive F; was an 80 gig formatted as fat 32, and my third PHYSICAL drive was another 80 gig,formatted as NTFS, drive G; When booting into 98 only driv F; would be seen, as far as windows 98 knew drive G; didnt even exist.

If it were me I would check into one of those 10 dollar usb2.o cards. A LOT less headaches than dual boot. Dual boot is great, on a second or third computer to tinker with, but unless you really like to tinker with your pc, its a pain in the a$$.

If all else fails, I could walk you thru a dual boot setup, assuming you have a valid Winxp install disc, AND a valid win98 disc we could reformat. Or you could research bootloaders. I know partition magic has one. Maybe someone a lil more knowledgable than me might be able to help you more.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, ive got 3 comps...and im tired of jacking with this one...ive had more "invasions" in the last year than i care to talk about. there must be some asshole out there that really likes to mess my computer up....

but, i think ive got him beat now....havnt been raided in over 3 weeks.

im going shopping....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It should be about time you just grab yourself a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card, it will be a lot less trouble than trying to get a dual boot system working. Unless you want to try running a XP/Linux dual boot and thats only if Linux will work with your camera.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts