Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on a XP tweak site and it works pretty well, just use it before you run games or resource intense programs...

Start Menu>Run...

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Click OK. Wait a few minutes and it'll clear all the idle tasks sitting in memory taking up space.

Anyone else got tweaks or anything? :shrug:

·
12,110 Posts
I just tried it, and I did notice it making me go a bit faster. I never shut off my computer, I always put it on hibernate mode beucase im too lazy to wait for it to boot up. All

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
So i type in rundll32.exe and advapi.ddl in at the same time??? im a lil confused. It didnt work for me. Im running XP Home edition

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
the only program that tends to make my computer run slow is limewire for somereason, and it only does it now and again. go get the tweak ui equivalent for xp. if anybody is familiar w/ tweak ui for win 9x then you'll know what i'm talking about. you can make all kinds of hidden adjustments to windows.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
ctrl+alt+down key is fun... especially when you do it on school computers because you have to be logged in before you can change it back(ctrl+alt+up key). Strangely, it doesn't work on my home computer?=(

·
12,110 Posts
Puck3d Up said:
ctrl+alt+down key is fun... especially when you do it on school computers because you have to be logged in before you can change it back(ctrl+alt+up key). Strangely, it doesn't work on my home computer?=(
holy **** I went on a trip

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
hey look who'se quote wooddog has in his sig. ME. i'm "l33t" myself. i've got a key if u want it. talk to me on aim about it.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
type services.msc in the run window.

There, you will find a list of system services that take up speed on your comp. Read the description for each one, and if you dont need it, double click it and disable it.

For example: I created a shortcut to my desktop for the "Automatic Windows update" webpage so i can visit and update at my leasure. I dont NEED to have a windows update the SECOND it comes out. You should check once a week and download as needed. By doing this, you can disable "automatic windows update" which takes up a considerable amount of speed on your computer because it is constantly connected to the windows webpage waiting for updates to install.

Also, type in MSCONFIG into the run screen. This will bring you to a page where you will see a tab labeled "startup". From here you can disable any programs that you dont want started when you turn on your computer. Here, i took off Quicktime Task manager (labeled Qttmgr, or something like that) and msmessenger.

Lastly, if you want to speed up shutdown time, you can disable a program in the registry that clears out information when you shut down your computer (usually passwords stored in that some people are afraid of others viewing, kinda like cookies.) But when this process is enabled, it eats up shutdown time. If its your computer and your not all gung-ho about security, you can shut this off. Type REGEDIT into the RUN menu.

CURRENT CONTROL SET>>>CONTROL>>>SESSION MANAGER>>>MEMORY MANAGEMENT>>> then from here change the "clearpagefileatshutdown" value to zero.
Dont touch anything else here unless you know what your doing as you can seriously eff up your computer.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
i personally don't consider that to be true "tips and tricks". although many people don't know about any of that and will find it quite useful.

fyi: if in msconfig you see anything loading that deals with "webrebates" or "blah blah advertising" or anything of that nature, go to control panel> add/remove programs and uninstall them. these are adware/spyware. they eat up resorces and comprimise your security.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Why wouldnt those be tips? If you have a bunch of crap piled in your startup, you can use that "tip" to clear it out. Im sure some people dont know how to do that.

What is your definition of a "true tip and trick"??

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
it is a tip. i didn't mean that it wasn't. i said that it just isn't one to ME. key word being me. i'm a computer tech so this stuff is old knowledge to me. thats all i ment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts