Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks ago I bought a new router, not because my old one was broken but because technology updates a lot and I figured I should go for the newest stuff. However, my mom gets ****ty connection strength because of several unimportant factors.

I want to have one router set up to function as 'boost' to the network. As in, I want to run ethernet to a different part of the house so that I can get better coverage of the house and have a better connection on my upper floor. The router is currently in the basement, and my moms computer is a few floors up, tucked in between a few walls.

What do I have to do to each router to make it so the second one is a signal booster?

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
turn off dhcp on one of them and see if you can run it as a wireless access point... i know you can with some.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to run a server but it is a POS.

I can do that, it is just that my mom is online now lol.

Speaking of that server though..

I have an old dell from '03. It has a 2.66ghz Pentium 4 with 768MB of ram. It has a fresh install of windows XP. It also has an extra hard drive for music space. I wanted to use this as storage on my network to free up my harddrive. It was working great with iTunes until i put about 3gigs of music onto the spare HD. Now, whenever I start the computer up there is 100% of the CPU being taken up (as told to me by the task manager).

I will bring it to computer class tomorrow, but i was just wondering if you had any idea why this is happening.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I wasnt even paying attention I guess. Thanks to you, Linux.

And I think I get it, because my old school was on a college campus and I remember walking everywhere without losing internet connection.

Pretty sick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts