·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
omfg stfu

they arent listening to your conversations. and you want to know how this is keeping us safe? we've been at war in afghanistan and iraq for almost 4 years now, we pissed off a load of terrorists in the process, britain and spain have both been attacked (and israel for that matter), and yet we havent been touched since 9/11

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
NYY said:
omfg stfu

they arent listening to your conversations. and you want to know how this is keeping us safe? we've been at war in afghanistan and iraq for almost 4 years now, we pissed off a load of terrorists in the process, britain and spain have both been attacked (and israel for that matter), and yet we havent been touched since 9/11
u go girl

jk<3

i dont think its totally legit, but i think its partially necessary to helping

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush defended using government wiretaps without court authorization to monitor terrorism suspects and urged the Senate to renew the USA Patriot Act during his year-end news conference Monday.

Something you should tell us there 128shot? Paranoid much?

Frankly, I am not really all that happy with the patriot act, but I asked my government to protect me so I have to let them do the job. If I have to surrender some of my privacy then so be it. I don't like it, but I can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MedicDVG said:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush defended using government wiretaps without court authorization to monitor terrorism suspects and urged the Senate to renew the USA Patriot Act during his year-end news conference Monday.

Something you should tell us there 128shot? Paranoid much?

Frankly, I am not really all that happy with the patriot act, but I asked my government to protect me so I have to let them do the job. If I have to surrender some of my privacy then so be it. I don't like it, but I can't have it both ways.

there is a problem with that, what exactly details a terrorist?

Government can start labeling x people terrorists, or y people terrorists. A terrorist is a very vauge word. Its not specific to whom, it knows no race, no color, and can adopt itself to any idealogy in the world...

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
128shot said:

Government can start labeling x people terrorists, or y people terrorists. A terrorist is a very vauge word. Its not specific to whom, it knows no race, no color, and can adopt itself to any idealogy in the world...
basically if you do anything that could even loosely constitute "terror" ie cussing someone out on the internet and threatening them, you could be considered a terrorist :shrug:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like this country..

As it appears to me, the country is hurting itself and not much else.

Taking things for "as is" isn't what I call activism or even caring about what happens to your life.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
128shot said:

specifing terrorist to a race/color/idealogy is racism/etc. A Terrorist is someone who wishes to carry out a plan designed to harm people for the goal of furthering his beliefs or to punish a system he sees unjust.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bobide said:
specifing terrorist to a race/color/idealogy is racism/etc. A Terrorist is someone who wishes to carry out a plan designed to harm people for the goal of furthering his beliefs or to punish a system he sees unjust.

So our government has played the role of terrorist?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
unless you're a muslim taking pilot lessons and buying box cutters in bulk, dont worry about it

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Frankly I agree with you. The term terrorist is indeed an ephemeral terms that seems to amalgamate many more nebulous terms as well and even then, the definition seems to morph into whatever is plotically expedient at the time..

But is it better then just walking around blind and hoping that they don't strike again? I don't think so.

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
basically a war to stop terror is total bull****. its gonna back fire on us eventually cuz we are pissing off much more people then were pissed before. it prevents attacks for the time being, but the amount we spend on this and the unintended effects are gonna end up hurting america.

on a side note we really didnt have a choice in going into afganastan. the government just needs to be less hasty on where else we go. no matter how many policies the government enacts, it will never stop terror. terrorists will just get more underground, get stronger weapons, and more improved techniques and strategies.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Trample your liberties my ass. I can't believe people get so bent out of shape in reguards to the Patriot act and now this tapping issue. Oh no! They're going to know you jack off every night. Who cares.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
My english teacher said something along the lines of the following in responce to when a soldier visited our school.

One point that bugged me was when he (the soldier) left us with the image of his son on the projector, telling us that he is fighting this war so his son doesn't have too. That statement has been said many times before. WWI was "the war to end all wars" and shortly after WWII broke out. It is funny to see how America has a goal to stop terrorism with the war in Iraq, when the war provoked some terrorist acts to occur.

That was about the jist of it. I found it pretty interesting. My teacher respected the soldier, he just found some things he said sketchy.

-Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
So what if it doesn't affect you, it is the principal that one's rights can be VIOLATED at any time.
Let's go back in time to good old '72 or so. Around then, MR. Tricky Dick was wiretapping people's homes involved in war protests. This is NOT something the president can leagally do. It is incredibly unconstitutional.
So Bush is repeating what Nixon did, good job Bush.

How can you defend someone who spits on the constitution? Also, we don't know who Mr. Bush has been wiretapping. If someone would like to show me some information that Bush is only tapping suspected terrorists, i'll shut up....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
As per the original post, they are not wiretapping every single house in America. They are wiretapping terror suspects, and Congress still has oversight and is being briefed, so don't get your panties into a bunch.

As per the war in general:
-Lybia has ceased their ENTIRE nuclear weapons program
-Afghanistan has had free elections
-Iraq has had free elections
-Iran is actually discussing their nuclear program as apposed to their previous stance of "STFU I'll do what I want and I'm not going to talk to you about it."

Whether you think the war will work or not is your opinion and you are entitled to it, it is your right.

As per the English teacher thing:
-What the soldier was talking about basically comes from the phrase "May there be trouble in my time, so that my children may have peace."

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
sirtofu said:
So what if it doesn't affect you, it is the principal that one's rights can be VIOLATED at any time.
Let's go back in time to good old '72 or so. Around then, MR. Tricky Dick was wiretapping people's homes involved in war protests. This is NOT something the president can leagally do. It is incredibly unconstitutional.
So Bush is repeating what Nixon did, good job Bush.

How can you defend someone who spits on the constitution? Also, we don't know who Mr. Bush has been wiretapping. If someone would like to show me some information that Bush is only tapping suspected terrorists, i'll shut up....
Congress has oversight on the program. The president is using Article 2 of the COnstituion (commander and cheif bit) and other legislation that Congress has passed as his back up. Since this is a "war on terror" the commander and cheif bit can be used (supposedly).

Then again, I'm a realist. I firmly believe that if going in a straight and efficient line from point A to point B will piss people off but keep my country safe, do it.

Bush is not repeating what Nixon did. Nixon was a paranoid guy. Bush is not sending "The plumbers" into the offices of government officials to steal documents. Bush is not deleting tapes that incriminate him. To relate Bush to Nixon is naive and silly.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts