Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres my situation. i work at a grocery store as a cashier. basically, the 14-15 year olds can only work to 645 by law. the 16-17 year olds are scheduled to work latest 945. so here's my situation, they have my scheduled to work from an average of 6-9/945 a few times this week. now i called the manager, and i explained that i really cant work that late mainly because i have school as a priority and that i didnt know i would be working that late to begin with. i love the job and all, but i REALLY dont want to be working to 945. she said if i cant be available that late, then i cant work.

so who is right here? the whole fiasco here is that i called to see if i can change my hours, but she explained that they cant be changed. no one told me this, i only started working there in the summer and the summer hours are completely different. the latest i worked was till 9 and i just dont understand. she just said 'well if you cant work, i guess youll have to quit' which really irked me because i felt like she couldnt care less if i worked there or not... i have until tomorrow to decide. i feel like i should just quit and look for a job with better hours.

·
1,751 Posts
wow...Working until 9:45 is early. Just work the hours and make some money, be happy your hours aren't like my last job. I was at work until 10:45 weekdays and past midnight on weekends.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Thats bull**** if she cant change your hours, especially for something like school...

I used to have a ***** for a manager, so I know how you feel.

As for your question, id quit and look for a new job. Alot of people look for a job based on hours more then money, mainly because they have lives :p. If you do decide to quit, do what I did, walk out in the middle of your shift to **** them. Or you can always just not show up.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
ja289 said:
now i called the manager, and i explained that i really cant work that late mainly because i have school as a priority and that i didnt know i would be working that late to begin with. i REALLY dont want to be working to 945
4char.

·
1,751 Posts
nobody WANTS to work...and at a young age, getting a good job that pays with decent hours is just next to impossible. If you think you're gonna walk around dropping off applications and get a job that will give you 10 bucks an hour and whatever hours you want, you are dreaming.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I dont think he said he gets payed $10 an hour, but then again, I dont know how much a cashier usually gets paid. Around where I live, you can get a job that works around your prioritys, ei: school, that would be McDonalds, haha. But you never really know, you could be there till 9:45 or later.

I do agree though that 9:45 is early as it is, but he he doesnt want to work till then and they wont change his hours, i think he should quit.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
ja289 said:
ok so heres my situation. i work at a grocery store as a cashier. basically, the 14-15 year olds can only work to 645 by law. the 16-17 year olds are scheduled to work latest 945. so here's my situation, they have my scheduled to work from an average of 6-9/945 a few times this week. now i called the manager, and i explained that i really cant work that late mainly because i have school as a priority and that i didnt know i would be working that late to begin with. i love the job and all, but i REALLY dont want to be working to 945. she said if i cant be available that late, then i cant work.

so who is right here? the whole fiasco here is that i called to see if i can change my hours, but she explained that they cant be changed. no one told me this, i only started working there in the summer and the summer hours are completely different. the latest i worked was till 9 and i just dont understand. she just said 'well if you cant work, i guess youll have to quit' which really irked me because i felt like she couldnt care less if i worked there or not... i have until tomorrow to decide. i feel like i should just quit and look for a job with better hours.

Well ya she dosnt care because you can be easily replaced *snaps fingers* like that. And they need people till 9:45. Its simple stuff really my dad has to change schedules constantly and theirs alot of reasons why its done. but if you cant work the hours they need you then why do they need you?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
PaintBallBob said:
945 is early. when i work durring the week its 5pm-11pm and durring the weekends its 6pm-2am. Just be happy to have the opportunity to get some money, if you end work at 9:45 you should be able to get to sleep by 10:30 which imo is fine.

11 is early i get off at 12 at school nights and 2 on weekends :p . Isnt it great working for your dad :) labor laws are non existent. Builds charectar.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
KingFikiElectra said:
11 is early i get off at 12 at school nights and 2 on weekends :p . Isnt it great working for your dad :) labor laws are non existent. Builds charectar.
ya i know how u feel i work a my dad's resturant :(

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
yeah seriously why are you complaining about 9:45........most night i work until at least 11 and then go out with my friends until like 2-3am...... and still maintain a 3.5gpa in high school and now in college........stop complaining ,get paid,....welcome to the real world.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
2 legit said:
yeah seriously why are you complaining about 9:45........most night i work until at least 11 and then go out with my friends until like 2-3am...... and still maintain a 3.5gpa in high school and now in college........stop complaining ,get paid,....welcome to the real world.
but thats you.....guys stop telling him to quit complaining.....he may want to have nights off for homework or something.....

what u need to do is quit and make your own unofficial business....when i was in 8th grade i had a lawn service, i made my own hours and made loads of cash ( some of my friends were in on it too to make the work easier )...

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first of all im 16... its a part time job i could care less about... and 1045 is late. if i dont get to bed at or before 12, then i can barely stay awake in school. i make 6.75$ an hour. and my whole point is that she compares me to the other cashiers.. everyone there has completely different priorities. and im not complaing, im just curious as to what everything else thinks about the situation.

and fiki, yeah she can replace me, but the whole stupid thing about the situation is that they dont have enough people working! thats what i dont understand why they would lay me off so easily when theyre going to be short ANOTHER cashier.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
DaBluedevil said:
so tell them you'll do it, and tell them you'll do the hardest shift for 'em, then just don't show up. They wanna **** you over, payback's a *****.
getting reliable references at a young age is great for future jobs, although the "**** them" attitude is fun.

I work till 12 on some weeknights and till 1am on weekends, i dont want to but hey, i get paid. at a young age you really cant be picky with hours because they usually can find A LOT of replacements who will work the hours. its pretty much a do or dont thing. 945 isnt really late at all either, if u cant handle that maybe wait a little bit before picking up another job, just might not be the right time for you.

oh and most managers wait till they get low on employees and then hire a grip load in a month or whatever so they dont have to do a diff orientation kind of thing for every person that gets hired.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts