Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a few question about it. Mom finally got high-speed intraweb. It's DSL lite, but still better than 56k. My questions are:

1. Will this connection work with X-Box Live?
2. If so, I know I will need a wireless router because the PC is in another room. What would be an inexpensive yet good router?
3. What will I need besides a starter kit an a router? Cables etc.

Corey

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
i also have the same Q's, lol

I already have dsl and a router, but my xbox is 80 ft away in my room. what all do i need?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news. I just called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, and they said DSL Lite will work. Now just to save up a little money.

·
u sed the magic word! YAY
485 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
D-Link and Linksys are the best IMO...
Word up.

i have some wierd setting, i have the modem going into a USB port on my computer. Then i bridged a connection between that port and my Ethernet port, and just ran a cable straight from there into my Xbox. I got wires runnin through my Room but, hell, it still works.

Add me 2 ur friends list. my name is DrunkenSakurai

·
Almost leet
1,999 Posts
U DONT have to spend 60-100 dolalrs on a router..... this is my set up. 29.99 LinkSYS Switch.

dont listen to ppl at stores they just want to sell more costly stuff. If your just using your connection for the comp and xbox just get a sawitch.

And then buy RJ-45 hook up cables cheaper the better. U can also use a xbox link cable if u have one same thing. Have to run one from your cable/DSL modem to the uplink port on the switch or router. Then have another cable run from the switch to the PCI Card inside the comp U kno on the back of the Computer.
Then have a cable run from the xbox to the switch.

If your comp is over 100ft away from your comp then go wireless. Ive heard that the connection weakens when the cables are that long plus they get a lil expensive.

ANOTHER note to remeber is to remeber your connection speed. If its 100mpbs then get a 100mpbs compatible switch or router. If its 10mpbs then get a 10mpbs. If u have a 100mpbs connection on a 10mpbs switch your gonna have a crap connection.

Btw. A switch is also known as a hub etc. And are almost identicle to routers.

My switch is a Linksys-10/100 5 port workgroup switch. that costed 29.99 at best buy. dont be fooled when ppl say a router is better it isnt. Its just how u use it that depends.

To find out your connection if u have XP just go to network connections and then you should be able to find it inthere under properties of your connection.

If u guys need any other help PM me.

Btw my connection if Road Runner.

Hope I helped,
Cocker16

<<<<EDIT>>>>>>
I forgot to answer the rest of his Q. Just get RJ-45 cables. usually cost 10-20bucks.

And u dont need a starter kit. If u have an online gamer game like halo2 etc. Then its eisier just to use the 2month free card. BTW u will need a credit card even if u bought the starter. kit.

Also U dont have to spend 50 bucks on a headset I recomend them greatly. U can get them some places for 19 bucks.

Also I suggest using XBConnect (XBConnect.com)
Evdery1 says there lags but all u do is find a couple peeps with good connections and it wont lag. add them to your buddy lists and play with them/
Or u can host a game and wont get any lag. But hope your connection is good or peeps will leave.

And im not dissing XBL I have it 2 but I havent used it since the day i had it. Canceld my crap the stats are great. but u have almost 0 control unless u make a custom game but it defeats the main purpose of XBL rankiing.

Whew im gonna shut up now.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Dude you're an idiot.

For one, Switches are crap. They go out and depending ont he brand it slows your connection down.

You can get Routers fairly cheap, usually on sale at Micro Center for 10 or 20 bucks.

IF you can read, he needs WIRELESS. You can't just buy a wireless switch. You need the router.

But dude if you have a wireless router going into your room you'll need some gay expensive Adapter for it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I really don't want wires running through 5-6 rooms of my house, and crawlng through the attic isn't fun.

What kind of adapter will I need and how much will that be?

EDIT: Need to know what a good wireless router would be. PM me a site if ya got one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts