Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago when there was a thread about big phone companies trying to control the internet. For some reason I underestimated this and didn't think much of it. Just recently I stumbled across a lot of information regarding "net neutrality" and exposing to me how big of a threat it could actually be. These companies are actually pushing LAWS to allow them to infringe upon our rights.

I strongly urge you to look up and read a bit about network (net) neutrality and tell everyone about it. As one page put it

The only way the telecommunications companies will be successful is if we fail to raise awareness about this situation. If people find out about the fact that we are about to lose our Internet freedom there is no way they will allow congress to do this.
Check out and sign the petition on www.savetheinternet.com

America is supposed to be built on freedom. This is not right.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I am sending a letter to a few newspapers in the area. I am trying to get a few friends in on this but everyone is stupid. They will not even read it. But both kids have been on aim for over 8 hours and I know that if this is acted upon I can shove it in their faces and tell them that it is their fault. Not spreading awareness.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly. I'm going to mail a few newspapers about it, too. There are at least two local magazines that will publish it and probably host an open discussion about it, too.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can you think it's not a big deal? These phone companies are trying to decide what we can and cannot do in our own homes. That is not "freedom," it's the exact opposite. If America were truly the "land of the free" there is no way this should be tolerated.

What's next? Them telling you who you can and cannot call on your telephone?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
TonyD said:
How can you think it's not a big deal? These phone companies are trying to decide what we can and cannot do in our own homes. That is not "freedom," it's the exact opposite. If America were truly the "land of the free" there is no way this should be tolerated.

What's next? Them telling you who you can and cannot call on your telephone?

I think its being overstated, if I read into everything correctly all they want to do is charge sites for money because they use the phone companies bandwidth to make money.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
from what i have seen they can block sites like google becuase a site like yahoo will pay them....

or i seem to recall something about that

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
128shot said:
I think its being overstated, if I read into everything correctly all they want to do is charge sites for money because they use the phone companies bandwidth to make money.
And you don't see how that could negatively affect the internet, and ultimately, the world?

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i'm almost split on this topic.

On one hand I can see why the internet providers want to do this. Portions of their network are being more heavily taxed by those who use video, music and image intense media. They have to devote more bandwidth and processing power to supply the user with these things. So what happens is other items get shoved back a little and have to wait before there is enough bandwidth for them.

-why's it wrong for them to charge you for the amount of strain you put on their network? If you download 10 gigs everyweek why do you get to pay the same as the guy who sends a few emails and only ends up using 100mb of data a week??

BUT-i like this system. It's beneficial to me for this current state of affairs to continue. I can pull down gigs of video, music, and surf the internet to my hearts content at no penalty. I'm paying the same rate each month. Why should I care about the strain on their bandwidth? I'm getting good enough speeds and hey, it's their problem. They should simply expand their handling capabilities.

My end opinion is this: i don't want my internet to even begin to have constraints on it. I feel they would only take that power and run with it. Image being charged a fee to display 1 image. And each 400 characters would come with it's own fee. Suddenly you're paying $1 just to load up your homepage.

Also, if it's so bad for your bandwidth oh great telecommunications companies just raise your rates and expand your network to handle this load. Penelize everyone for the strain.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bobide said:
why's it wrong for them to charge you for the amount of strain you put on their network?
It's greedy for them to want MORE money when they are already giant corporations that probably rake in millions per month. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with doing something for financial gain when it's needed. When they're already making so much money, it's far from needed.

Need vs. Greed. The world has enough of both and doesn't need more of either. Giant phone companies are not going to help eliminate the need by taking control of our freedom.

·
12,110 Posts
As much as I am against it, I see no problem with it.

Its a privately owned company, they can restrict whatever they want. Its their landlines, their sattelites, their property. Sad but true.

The solutions for this problem are impossible to carry out with the current state of world affairs.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
TonyD said:
It's greedy for them to want MORE money when they are already giant corporations that probably rake in millions per month. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with doing something for financial gain when it's needed. When they're already making so much money, it's far from needed.

Need vs. Greed. The world has enough of both and doesn't need more of either. Giant phone companies are not going to help eliminate the need by taking control of our freedom.

it isn't greed. They only charge what you're willing to pay. If you don't like it find another provider.

I probably pay more than you do since I live in a rural location. Thats BS I say! I'm going to start an internet site about it so they can only charge me cheap city rates...

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually that is BS and there are people working to stop that because it is unfair.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
TonyD said:
Actually that is BS and there are people working to stop that because it is unfair.

I can understand why, it takes more money to string a line out here and it takes more to send a signal I would suppose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts